17 people arrests after prosecutor's visit to trustee

  • actual
  • 12:38 12 March 2024
  • |
img

RIHA - Speaking about the arrest of 17 people, including DEM Party executives, Lawyer Sevda Çelik Ozbingöl said that the arrests took place after the prosecutor's visit to the trustee. 

Simultaneous raids were carried out on 22 addresses on March 6, citing the investigation initiated by the Urfa Chief Public Prosecutor's Office. During the house raids, 17 people, including the People's Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party) Pirsûs Municipality Council member candidates and district administrators, were detained. 17 people who appeared before the judge on March 9 were arrested on the grounds of "being a member of a terrorist organization".
 
THE ATTORNEY GENERAL VISITED THE TRUSTEE
 
Meanwhile, it was revealed that the chief prosecutor, who initiated the investigation based on secret witness statements, visited the Suruç trustee a few days before the raids. Sevda Çelik Ozbingöl, one of the defense lawyers, reminded that the March 31 local elections were approaching and pointed out that the arrest dates were not a coincidence. Stating that before every election, all public institutions and public facilities are used by the government for election propaganda, Ozbingöl said: “Public institutions and facilities are mobilized for the election activities of the government. That's why detentions and arrests are events we are very familiar with. We faced a similar operation again in last year's general elections." 
Reminding that DEM Party members and candidates were detained and arrested by the judiciary in many cities during the run-up to the elections, Ozbingöl continued as follows: “We are discussing a period in which public facilities and opportunities were put into service for elections and the interests of the government. We do not think of this process as just a capture and detention operation. In Şırnak, we experienced election campaign practices, especially involving the governor, district governor, corps commanders, civil and administrative chiefs. A few days ago, we witnessed the Urfa Chief Public Prosecutor visiting the Suruç trustee. Both during and after the visit, we see that public employees themselves are involved in the election activities of the government, forgetting their duties and missions. There was an operation against our elected officials, administrators and subsequently our candidates in the district, through a process involving the judiciary and the law enforcement."
 
ABSTRACT AND UNSOUNDED CLAIMS
 
Emphasizing that the file was carried out under a confidentiality order, Ozbingöl said that the file was based on abstract and unfounded allegations. Ozbinböl stated that, as the legal commission, they will follow up on all irregularities they detect during the election process, both through the provincial and district election boards and the Chief Public Prosecutor's Office.
 

View More Articles

26/05/2025
09:09 First point is to release Mr Öcalan says Laura Castel
09:06 'Unless Kurdish is liberated from occupation, thought cannot be free'
08:49 Israeli strikes across Gaza kill 24 people
25/05/2025
19:18 KNK Congress ends: Number of Executive Council members increased
14:32 Bakırhan: Peace can only be achieved through laws
14:25 Ahmet Karamus and Zeynep Murad elected as co-chairs of KNK
14:19 Mother who lost 6 children: We buried our children to see good days
13:49 Civil society must be part of Parliamentary Commission says politician Melda Onur
12:47 Declaration from the KNK: Let’s unite through a National Conference
11:20 Italian medical delegation prevent visiting Shengal
11:01 Chair of Riha Bar Association: ‘Right to hope’ essential for peace
10:11 Mother of Hacı Lokman Birlik: We want to live freely on our land
09:35 Mother of ill prisoner: We should be reunited with our children through legal regulation
23/05/2025
16:23 Co-Chair of OHD: Implementing the 'right to hope' is essential
15:27 Aysegul Dogan: Parliament Speaker should take responsibility for commission
14:38 Barcelona launches 'Hope League' project in North and East Syria
14:14 Report on 20 Prisons: Two prisoners sharing a single bunk
13:39 'Kurdish Revival' documentary website launched
13:17 Solution is not abolishing Lausanne, but establishing a democratic constitution says Historian Ulugana
12:09 Demand of those who have lost loved ones in conflicts: Freedom and peace
11:33 ‘We trust Öcalan, we are ready to contribute’
10:57 Families applies to go to İmralı
10:48 Satellite photos of destruction in Gabar
10:30 Menzione: Öcalan must be able to lead change he wants to initiate from outside
10:29 Operation against IBB: Detention warrant for 49 people
22/05/2025
16:51 'Abolish isolation, release ill prisoners'
16:28 Turkish Defence Ministry: Attacks will continue
16:13 Journalist Oznur Deger releases
14:11 Author Gretchen Dutschke-Klotz voices support for Öcalan
12:11 Amed Citizens: They call Öcalan to Parliament but don't secure his freedom!
11:12 Mother of Cemile Çağırga: Despite losing two of my children, I still call for peace
21/05/2025
11:04 Yigiter, who attacked: I am in good condition
10:44 Plundering of nature under military protection in Colemêrg
10:19 Young people demand education in mother language
09:41 ‘A new process offers hope for the socialist movement’
20/05/2025
22:16 Cenk Yigiter attacked, taken to intensive care unit
21:17 DEM Party's statement after meetings
17:34 DEM Party and CHP meeting ends
17:26 Parliament Speaker: There will be those who will try to poison process, we are cautious
17:19 TJA to organize march for ‘social peace and democratic solution’
19/05/2025
16:40 100 families return to Shengal
16:28 Tent protest against embargo enters its 5th day
16:12 Ocak and Karakoç commemorated during Week of the Disappeared
15:51 PUK and KDP to participate in Iraqi elections with separate lists
14:15 DEM Party's meeting programme with political parties clarified
13:49 DEM Party and DEVA meeting ends
13:39 Participants at commemoration of Kaytan and Altun: Time to build social peace
13:15 Place to discuss the process is Parliament says Parliamen speaker Kurtulmuş
12:45 '2 thousand 728 young lost their lives in workplace homicides in 12 years'
12:11 'They were fighters for freedom and truth'